Meet Sunday Shades Ambassador Yuthika Peiris. He’s a triathlete and has participated in the Ironman 70.3 and other races. How does he train, what’s his routine like, what does he eat? Let’s dive in and get to know him.
Name: Yuthika Peiris
IG handle: @yuthikapeiris
Facebook: Yuthika Peiris
1. When did you discover that this was your passion and that you were going to pursue it as far as you could?
It was after my first ever cross-country run-in April 2017.
2. What got you started in sports?
I grew up playing all sorts of sports back home in Sri Lanka. Cricket & water polo were two of my favourites and I pursued water polo at the national level. I also represented the Monash University water polo team when I came over to Malaysia for higher studies. All these activities stopped after awhile and I was just keeping a fun lifestyle which was very unhealthy. What got me finally into running was someone very special asked me to quit smoking and I got a pair of running shoes as gift. That’s where it all started.
3. Have you participated in any major competition / events?
Yes – Powerman Malaysia (2 times with one age group Podium finish), Ironman 70.3 ( 4 races & World championship qualification in Langkawi 2019 ). I have also participated in many local races including the Port Dickson International Triathlon.
4. In your opinion, what was your best performance?
I would say the most memorable race was Ironman Langkawi 70.3, in 2019.
5. What’s your training like when training for a competition?
I usually train from 5 hours a week to 11 hours a week, building up to competition.
6. Do you maintain a special diet? If so, what do you eat? Are there cheat days?
I don’t have a very controlled diet but I take more carbs and less meat. And oh yesss… I love chocolates!
7. When not training for a competition, what’s your training like? Do you cross train? What does a typical week look like?
When not in competition, training resumes as normal at just lower pace. Yes, I do cross train and it’s usually Horse riding. I love it to bits. I’ve been training with plans to compete in smaller dressage events.
8. Do you see yourself as an inspirational role model for aspiring athletes?
I believe so, because I do sports to challenge myself but not as a profession.
9. Where are your favourite training spots in Malaysia?
I mostly do my running around where I live in PJ and many other challenging routes. For cycling, my favourite spots are at Shah Alam & Genting Peras.
10. Have you always been fit and fab? Was there a time when you were not? Can you tell us more about that?
11. If there are readers who would like to get started in your sport, what advice do you have?
I would say do it to challenge yourself and you will find possibilities within yourself that you have never dreamt of.
12. Do you have anything else about yourself you’d like to share?
I love animals and I have a huge collection of reptiles, snakes & geckos. I also 5 dogs, which are all rescues. So I do rescue animals whenever I can and rehome them.
We’re certainly appreciate Yuthika for sharing more about himself. After reading about Yuthika’s fitness journey, we hope that you’ll be motivated to challenge yourselves and discover your true potential.