Meet the founder of the Rockstar Fit App, ultra-running athlete and Sunday Shades Ambassador Natalie Dau. Where does she like to train, what events has she participated in and what drives her to succeed in sports? Let’s find out!
Sport: Ultra-Running, General Fitness
Name: Natalie Dau
IG handle: @rockstararms
Facebook: Natalie Dau RockStarArms
1. When did you discover that this was your passion and that you were going to pursue it as far as you could?
I try and challenge myself to do different things out of my comfort zone, so I almost fell in love with ultra-running by mistake. When I won my first race I thought it was time to get more serious about it.
2. Who inspires you?
I just try and be the best I can every day, and not compare myself to others. My 12 year old daughter always inspires me to be better.
3. Have you participated in any major competition / events?
Yes, everything from the Spartan World Championships Elite competition to Masters track and field, CrossFit events, triathlons and of course ultras marathons.
4. In your opinion, what would you rate as your best performance?
They are all so different but my first 100km ultra that I won stands out as I had never done one before and had zero expectations going into the race – so I actually just enjoyed the experience.
5. What’s your training like when training for a competition?
Very focused and I stick to the plan my coach gives me, no excuses!
6. Do you maintain a special diet? If so, what do you eat? Are there cheat days?
I try and eat real food (including carbs), not packaged things and keep it well balanced. And yes, there is definitely a cheat meal in there too.
7. When not training for a competition, what’s your training like? Do you cross train? What does a typical week look like?
In my off season I still run around 100km a week, usually 6 days a week, but the intensity may be reduced. I also try and get to the gym to do classes at GritYard one to two times a week and spend time in my home gym working on mobility and strength.
8. Do you see yourself as an inspirational role model for aspiring athletes?
I try and keep it real (good and bad) and my goal is to try and help people to just get moving no matter what their fitness level is. Oh, and age isn’t an excuse!
9. Where are your favourite training spots?
I never get sick of running around Marina Bay and Gardens by the Bay. Overseas I love running on the Gold Coast by the beach too.
10. Have you always been fit and fab? Was there a time when you were not? Can you tell us more about that?
I have always been active my whole life as it’s who I am. There are definitely some low spots though having Deep Vein Thrombosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and of course coming back after having a baby takes time too.
11. If there are readers who would like to get started in your sport, what advice do you have?
Set small, achievable goals – if you want to run don’t think about a marathon, think about making it 1km and go from there. And find your fitness love, you have to enjoy what you do!
Thank you Natalie for sharing your story with us. We certainly appreciate your energy and positive outlook! We’ll see you around Marina Bay sometime!