Meet Mikey Cruise, a passionate leisure cyclist and content creator. He has a love for the open road and enjoys capturing his adventures on video. John's dedication to the sport has led him to achieve a personal best distance of 228km, a true testament to his endurance and determination.
Name: Mikey Cruise
IG & FB handles: Mikey Cruise (Mr M&M’s)
1. When did you discover that this was your passion and that you were going to pursue it as far as you could?
I had been actively cycling during my Singapore National Service days in 2006 but eventually stopped after I completed my National Service in 2008. But during the pandemic, I picked up cycling again as I want to keep myself active and lose weight.
2. Who inspire you?
I have a buddy who really care for me. He encouraged me to start cycling again as he was very concerned that I was overweight.
3. Have you participated in any major competition or events?
Yes, I was invited to some major events in Singapore like OCBC cycle, Cycle for Hope, RidenJoy & Mobot Challenge.
4. In your opinion, what was your best performance?
As I am just a leisure cycling, I can only say my longest distance travelled for per trip was 228km.
5. There’s no mean feat! What’s your training like when training for the 228km cycling trip?
Two months before the 228km trip, I have to regularly cycle 200-400km per week to build up my level of fitness.
6. Do you maintain a special diet?
Lately I have lost about 18kg in 5 months. I do intermittent fasting and reduce sugar/ carbs intake.
7. What does a typical week look like when you are not training for a long trip?
My typical week will be cycling from home to work and back to home. Usually I do that 3 times a week if weather permits. Each trip will take about 50km. On top of that, I will be meeting friends for leisure cycling which will be another 50-150km per week.
8. Do you see yourself as an inspirational role model for aspiring athletes?Well, I am a content creator first and foremost but who loves cycling and humour. So usually my tiktok and YouTube videos are light-hearted to watch and hopefully they will make my viewers laugh. I hope I can continue to bring laughter to my viewers.
9. Where is your favourite training spots?
I would say Tanah Merah Coast Road (TMCR) in Singapore. As the road is flat and very little traffic light. It is safer and much suitable for cycling training.
10. If there are readers who would like to get started in your sport, what advice do you have?
Get yourself a bicycle, helmet, gloves and front/rear lights. Hop onto the bicycle and start pedalling. Remember to point your front light downwards.
11. Have you always been fit and fab?
I used to be very obese. During pandemic my weight was about 103kg. Now my weight is about 85kg and still slowly going down. (See my before and after photos)
12. Do you something else about yourself that you would like to share with our readers?
As mentioned, I’m a content creator and I post videos mainly related to cycling. My videos consist of light-hearted humours as I like to bring joy and laughter to my viewers. Please help and support me by subscribing to my YouTube channel (Mikey Cruise). Thank you a lot!
Mikey Cruise's cycling adventure was truly an inspiration. His dedication to the sport, coupled with his love for the open road, has led him to reaching his personal goals. His story is a reminder of the power of determination and the joy that can be found in pursuing one's passions. We wish Mikey all the best in his future cycling endeavors and look forward to hearing more about his adventures.