We're excited to present an insightful interview with Marcell Idris, a dedicated athlete with a passion for jump rope and functional movements. Marcell's journey in the world of fitness is a testament to his determination and inspiration, driven by his father's unwavering encouragement. Join us as we delve into his experiences, training routines, and the valuable advice he offers to aspiring athletes.
Name: Marcell Idris
Instagram (IG): @universalsoulja
Sport: Jump rope, functional movements
1. When did you discover that this was your passion and that you were going to pursue it as far as you could?
About 4 years ago, i was an avid fitness enthusiast and having to discover the benefits and the artistry of jump roping, i immediately fell in love with it. I like to challenge myself and jump rope is one of those sports that requires discipline and patience plus you will get a great cardio workout with it!
2. Who inspired you?
My dad, he is the one that have inspired me. Having a never give up attitude and constantly telling me “Nothing is impossible if you put your mind into it”
3. Have you participated in any major competition / events?
Mainly running events held locally in SG and Soccer tournaments.
4. In your opinion, what was your best performance?
Jump rope of course, it have taught me patience and perseverance in learning moves and tricks.
5. Do you maintain a special diet? If so, what do you eat? Are there cheat days?
I don't follow any strict diet routines. I eat just about anything that is high in nutrients and simple supplementation to support my health. No cheat days for me, i eat everything in moderation.
6. When not training for a competition, what’s your training like? Do you cross train? What does a typical week look like?
As i don’t compete it is more of a lifestyle for me. I train 6 times a week.My training consist of cardio workout and functional strength training. On days that i don't jump. I will do strength training.
7. Do you see yourself as an inspirational role model for aspiring athletes?
I must say i would like to be inspirational to those that are finding their niche in sports and fitness. Try something new or different, it might be the one for you. Most importantly you have fun and enjoy doing it.
8. Where are your favorite training spots (Singapore or anywhere else in the world)? Why?
There’s no specific spot that i like, everywhere that has a nice view, good clean surface will do.
9. If there are readers who would like to get started in your sport, what advice do you have?
My advice will be, take it one step at a time. It will not happen overnight, allow yourself to be a beginner and trust the process. Your body achieves what your mind believes.
10. Do you have anything else about yourself you’d like to share (eg other non-sport passion, hobbies, interest?
My hobbies are fishing and figurine collection.
Marcell Idris exemplifies the spirit of perseverance and the pursuit of passion. His dedication to jump rope and fitness, fueled by his father's influence, is an inspiration to all. Marcell's commitment to continuous improvement, his balanced approach to nutrition, and his words of wisdom for newcomers to the sport remind us that success is a journey, not a destination. As he continues to explore his diverse interests beyond sports and fitness, Marcell's story serves as a reminder to embrace new challenges and always find joy in what you do.