Faroz Marzoki, Vice President for Mountain Biking - Singapore Cycling Federation, has participated in many cycling events. Is there a formula to success in this sport? Read on to find out.
Sport: Mountain Biking, Specifically Trail riding and Park riding
Name: Faroz Marzoki
IG handle: @farozmarzoki
1. When did you discover that this was your passion and that you were going to pursue it as far as you could?
I picked up serious mountain biking at the age of 18. Had a bit of experience in racing locally and overseas, retired at age 31. Currently appointed as Singapore Cycling Federation (SCF) Vice President for MTB.
2. Was there someone who inspired to take up this sport?
No one actually. MTB was also not a very popular sport back then. I just love cycling and adventure. MTB allows me to have both.
3. Have you participated in any major competition / events?
2015 Windham NY, USA XC Race, 2016 Trans New Zealand Enduro Race, 2017 OCBC Cycle MTB Series.
4. In your opinion, what was your best performance?
Winning the National Championships, Cycosports Jungle Cross overall series winner and crowned the overall champion for OCBC Cycle MTB Series, for the All Mountain Category and all that in 2017.
5. What’s your training like when training for a competition?
I don't really train, I don't have the time for it. I just ride in the weekends and for the fun of it. Maybe it is because that I have so much fun, I don't feel the pressure like I was training for anything.
6. Do you maintain a special diet? If so, what do you eat? Are there cheat days?
Every day is a cheat day for me but, eat with balance. You are what you eat.
7. What does a typical week look like?
I work 5 days a week, office hours. Occasionally, I will attend to a few night works at the railway tracks. When off saddle, I spend the time with my family, fishing, do a bit of trail maintenance and read.
8. Do you see yourself as an inspirational role model for aspiring athletes?
I feel that I have inspired many, especially kids, to go out there and have fun, riding their mountain bikes with their family and friends.
9. Where are your favorite training spots?
I wouldn't say training spots, more like playground. I enjoy riding all the local sanctioned trails and I love riding in New Zealand and Scotland.
10. If there are readers who would like to get started in your sport, what advice do you have?
Ride what you can and don't be stressed over with what you can't. Know your limits, safely and progressively push the envelope of improvement by exploring out of your comfort zone.
11. Have you always been fit and fab? Was there a time when you were not?
I think with my physique, I am blessed with great health and fitness albeit there is always room for improvement.
12. Do you have anything else about yourself you’d like to share?
I have a soft spot for watches, I appreciate horology.
Thank you Faroz, for sharing a bit about yourself with our readers. If you like to learn more about mountain biking, do check out his social media pages.