Love cycling? Lots of people have picked up recreational cycling since the pandemic started. But what about grittier cycling sports like competitive mountain biking (MTB) and bike motocross (BMX)? Meet the founder of Airdrozpark and coach, Ariff Jufri.
Name: Ariff Jufri
IG handle: @ariffjufri
1. When did you discover that this was your passion and that you were going to pursue it as far as you can?
Every time I get on my bike I feel that I am in a stress-free world. It’s that indescribable feeling of being young, energetic and creative.
2. Who inspired you?
3. Have you participated in any major competition / events?
UCI Redbull Pump Track World Championship
4. In your opinion, what was your best performance?
I qualified for the Red Bull Pump Track World championship finals two times in a row.
5. What’s your training like when training for a competition?
3 times weekly on and off my bike. Gym strength conditioning and tech bike skills.
6. Do you maintain a special diet? If so, what do you eat? Are there cheat days?
I maintain a healthy diet. No fast food and no processed food for me.
7. When not training for a competition, what’s your training like? Do you cross train? What does a typical week look like?
I will be doing active recovery such as swimming. But when I have more time I will come up to my private dirt compound and build new jumps and features for my next training purpose.
8. Do you see yourself as an inspirational role model for aspiring athletes?
I really hope so ! I want the legacy of the sport to be continued to the next generations. I hope to be a mentor and role model and coach the next aspiring athletes!
9. Where are your favourite training spots (Singapore or anywhere else in the world)? Why?
I have my own airbag jump facility, Airdrozpark. This is where I learn new tricks and also different jumps techniques on my bike. On other days I ride on my own dirt compound.
10. If there are readers who would like to get started in your sport, what advice do you have?
Start small. Be patient, but persistent. Last but not least ,enjoy the time when you’re riding. Do not be over-competitive as the only competition is within yourself.
11. Have you always been fit and fab? Was there a time when you were not? Can you tell us more about that?
I have a super hi metabolism rate that is why it’s hard for me to be fat. On the days when I’m off training or during the off peak season, I’ll just be less energetic.
12. Do you have anything else about yourself you’d like to share?
I’m a MTB/BMX coach by profession. So if you need to learn biking skills, please don’t be shy and contact me. 😉
We feel Ariff’s energy and passion for MTB and BMX just through this interview. It’s infectious! We appreciate Ariff taking time to share a little about himself here. Perhaps some of our readers will be motivated to learn some new biking skills from Ariff.